1. I will watch more TV. This is a selfless resolution. So many people are making so many shows, I figure if I can do my part to keep them employed, I’m doing a service.
2. I will stop picking up after myself. I’m always arguing with the kids to pick up, but what if I give them this one? I’m trying the “if you can’t beat them, join them” approach and I’m going to have to admit, not only does it cut down on my arguments with the kids, but it’s actually made my life easier.
3. I will spend more time talking about my kids on FB and Twitter. If talking TO them results in blank stares, maybe talking ABOUT them is the way to go. After all, what better way to show them how much I care about them?
4. I will sing more. When Jason was little, he pretty much only cried when I sang. Now both kids cringe and run away when I sing. Clearly I need more practice.
5. I will do better at covering all the food groups:
grains: flour in the crust
fruits and vegetables: strawberries
proteins: cream cheese
dairy: whipped cream for topping
fats: oil in the crust
So Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie works perfectly, right?
Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
6. I will not hide the toilet paper. There’s only so many times that’s funny.
7. I will let the boys take over the laundry and washing the dishes. I know this is a huge sacrifice but they’ll need to know how to do these things when they’re on their own. So really, I have a responsibility . . .
8. I will not run away from home. I will not run away from home. I will not run away from home. I need a pair of Ruby slippers.
9. I will drink more red wine. It’s been known for some time that red wine can be good for your heart. I also happen to know that it’s good for patience, anxiety and state of mind. And since corking a red and sticking it in the fridge is sacrilege, I promise to be a good Mommy and make all gone.
10. I will stop trying to convince myself that chocolate is not a food group. Because I need to face facts, it is.
So there you go. I know it’s a long list, but I have confidence that I’m up to the challenge.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
2 TBSP milk
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 quarts of Strawberries
2/3 cups sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 Tbsp cold water
Opt: Whipped Cream for garnish
*Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir all crust ingredients together. Press into the bottom and partially up the sides of a pie plate.
*Bake 12 – 15 minutes.
*Beat cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Carefully spread over cooled crust. Refrigerate.
*Wash all strawberries, pat dry and cut off the leaves.
*Opt: Can pick the 4 biggest and arrange them, upside down, towards the center of the cream cheese.
*Puree strawberries and add them to a saucepan with the sugar. Simmer.
*Add the cornstarch/water mixture to the saucepan and stir until thick and boiling.
*Turn down the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
*Cool slightly, then pour over the cream cheese layer.
*Opt: garnish with whipped cream before serving.