In the name of scientific discovery, I ended up developing a hypothesis about a vicious circle in parenting. And further, based on a simple questionnaire (of the Women’s Magazine type), you can see where you are in that circle. My theory is that the older your kids, the higher your score. Want to join my study? Take the test? Easy Peasy, it’s multiple choice.
A) a 2 year old
B) a teenager
C) both A and B
D) none of the above
Here’s how it works; for each of the 15 statements below, choose the answer that best fits the age of the child described; A, B, C, or D.
1. The answer to everything is “no”.
2. Don’t pick up their toys.
3. Whine at dinner.
4. Don’t come when called.
5. Is always in the way when Mom’s in the kitchen.
6. Doesn’t always play well with others.
7. Thinks Fruit Snacks are a fruit.
8. Wants to drive the car.
9. When Mom says “no”, goes and asks Dad.
10. Responsible for Mom needing a Brunch Cocktail.
11. Watches TV way too loud.
12. Goes into their room and slams the door when they don’t get their way.
13. Deliberately uses naughty words.
14. Takes whatever they want and thinks everything they see belongs to them.
15. Takes naps, but only now and then.
Finished? Want to see how you did? For each answer, give yourself the corresponding points:
A) 1 point
B) 2 points
C) 3 points
D) 0 points
Now just add up your points and check out your results:
0 to 15 points: You just wait. . .
16 to 29 points: You’re getting it . . .
30 to 44 points: Having teens is sorta like Deja vu, isn’t it?
45 points: Welcome to the club. Care for a Brunch Cocktail?
Now let me know, is the Circle Hypothesis holding up? What’s your score?
Ingredients (per cocktail):
1 ounce Chambord, Black Raspberry Liqeur
Prosecco, an Italian Dry Sparkling Wine
*Put one ounce of Chambord into a Champagne flute.
*Fill the rest of the flute with equal parts Prosecco and Grapefruit Juice.